F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio M5
regtime
2021-1-13
Post time 2021-1-15 21:55:39 |Show all posts |
Hi,

I have had a FiiO M5 for 8 days now.

It came with firmware 1.2.0 which I immediately updated to 1.4.7 following the instructions. The Bluetooth Firmware did not require updating.
I set the date and time and everything seemed fine.

All was well using the player 2-3 hours a day for the first 4 days playing FLAC files.
Then suddenly it stopped mid track and had gone to the 'all tracks' list even though I was playing an album.
Restarted playing the track and all was fine again.
Next day, when I switched on the time was set to 00.35. I reset the time to the correct time which was actually within an hour of that. The time could only be adjusted slowly, I had to wait for the digits to change. Exactly the same happened again with the time set to 00:35 the following night.
The next day when I tried to power up I was stuck at the Born For Music screen. After several attemps to restart with and without SD card and/or earphones it booted. Time set to 00.35 again.
Every time I turned the player off and on it would only start on the 4th or 5th attempt and the time would always reset to 00:35.
Changing the time and date is a slow process. Every touch to advance a digit takes almost 4 seconds to respond. After all that effort it gets lost after power off.

After looking on these forums I downgraded to firmware 1.4.6 and then upgraded to 1.4.7 again. That has cured the issue of being stuck on the boot screen but the time problems still persist.

I bought my device on Amazon UK so I intend to contact them about this issue and return the item.
Before I do return it do you have any further advice on how I may be able to fix this issue?

The player does play music okay via wired earphones and sounds good. I have reported on another thread that sound quality with bluetooth SBC earphones is awful even when the same earphones work fine with other (cheaper) devices. I wonder if that issue is related to these other issues I am seeing now.

I am really disapponted with my purchase for now. I have two $15 chinese DAPs which both sound much better with Bluetooth earphones and have more stable firmware than the Fiio M5.

Any advice would be appreciated before I resort to returning my player to Amazon UK.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio M5
regtime
2021-1-13
Post time 2021-1-16 21:39:45 |Show all posts |
Just a quick update.

The stuck on boot problem is back as well. It seems the player won't boot with earphones plugged in. Tried with multiple sets, all 32 ohm. All work fine on other devices and on this once it has booted without them. It booted fine with all these plugged in on the first 5 days.

Tried various hard resets and factory reset from inside the menu. Nothing makes any difference. Time always starts at 00:35, is very slow to adjust and is lost on powering up next time.
If device is left to go idle (idle period set to 5 mins) when you wake the device however long later, the clock has only moved on by 5 mins (the idle period).

This sounds like a faulty hardware to me now. I think a return to Amazon is the only option unless FiiO can suggest anything. My purchase was from one of your listed authorised dealers via Amazon Marketplace. I need to know that if I choose a replacement it will be unlikely to be affected by the same issue.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Use magic Report

Super Moderator

Born for music and happy

digest
F-Coin
DACs
FiiO Q5s
Head Gears
FiiO FA9
regtime
2013-5-10

Medal of X3 Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Outstanding Contributors King of Chatting Master of Publictity Master of Promotion Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2021-1-19 11:21:20 |Show all posts |
Dear friend,

Sorry about that.

Please check the factory restore to check if it helps? If the issue still remains, I am afraid it may be a hardware issue as well.

Best regards

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio M5
regtime
2021-1-13
Post time 2021-1-19 18:55:04 |Show all posts |
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I have tried the factory restore several times now. It show's strange behavior and does not resolve the issue.

On doing the factory reset the time and date are changed to 00:00 on 01/01/2019. If I leave it set to that and power off, on the next startup the time flashes up as 00:35 but quickly changes to 00:00 and the language selection screen pops up. I select English and the time remains as 00:00 on 01/01/2019. I leave it as that and power off again. When I power on the time is set to 00:35 and the date is 14/01/2021 even though I never set it to that. It always returns to that date and time.

The problem with power up is also still there. It always sticks on the boot screen if earphones are plugged into the po socket.

I contacted your authorised dealer on the email address supplied on my Amazon invoice but have had no response from them.

I will progress a return of faulty goods with Amazon today.

Thanks again for your response.

Regards.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio M5
regtime
2021-1-13
Post time 2021-1-20 18:53:52 |Show all posts |
The player is now on it's way back to Amazon.

The log files are attached here if anyone is interested. It seems to show what is going on with the time being reset but I don't know what it should look like.

m5log.rar

23.91 KB, Downloads: 15

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2021-3-7 13:10 , Processed in 0.023277 second(s), 26 queries .