AMPs
AM5,A5,Q5,Q5s,BTR5
Head Gears
Monoprice 1060 (Planer)
regtime
2020-7-4
Post time 2020-7-4 03:32:27 |Show all posts |
I have a new Galaxy S20 & a new Q5S.

I can't get USB audio working with the Q5S.  I have gotten the USB audio to work with a BTR5 and a Q5. When I plug it in the phone reports:

High-power USB device connected
Cannot  access to this device. Connected device needs external power supply.

I guess the phone doesn't like the Q5s current draw.  I don't see any way to tell it not to try to feed it power.
The Q5s is already at firmware 39.

Thanks.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio M15
AMPs
Q5s
regtime
2020-5-17
Post time 2020-7-4 04:12:29 |Show all posts |
Hello David,
It is no matter what phone are use let it be S20+ un your case. To use Q5s with your phone connected via USB you need to disable charging for the Q5s. Please connect with you Q5s via Bluetooth and use Fiio Music to open device settings to disable USB charging. You may use USB connection with your phone afterwards.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Galaxy S20+
AMPs
AM5,A5,Q5,Q5s,BTR5
Head Gears
Monoprice 1060 (Planer)
regtime
2020-7-4
Post time 2020-7-4 11:44:57 |Show all posts |
Thanks.

Actually my Axon 10 could drive it.  Hooked up  a USB current monitor.  It's pulling 1.25 amps (1.4 amps with the power off).  I'm not sure that kind of current is safe for the phone (and it'll drain the battery like crazy).

I did try turning off charging with the control app, but when I disconnected and reconnected the charging came back on.

The original Q5 is pulling less then 500ma.  I guess that one is safer because is has a separate USB charging port.

I'll play with it some more.  Maybe there's a sequence where I can turn off charging and it stays off.  In any case, this is a dangerous design (it's violating USB specs).  The default should be to not pull more then 500mA while USB audio is in use.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Galaxy S20+
AMPs
AM5,A5,Q5,Q5s,BTR5
Head Gears
Monoprice 1060 (Planer)
regtime
2020-7-4
Post time 2020-7-5 01:38:58 |Show all posts |
Thanks, again Emrak.  I see some of this is covered in the FAQ.

I worked with it again some more. Went in with bluetooth app and turned off charging, then connected the USB is it worked ok (not drawing power from phone).

I then disconnected and reconnected and the setting did stick.

So better.

Still, it seems like the design should not draw more then 500ma when connected to a USB data source (the baseline USB power limit). We shouldn't need to mess with the bluetooth app to use a USB audio source.

Also, saw this is the quick start guide (is that a full manual somewhere?)...

"Operation guide: Turn on the device by rotating the "Power/Volume" knob, switch to
USB input, and then hold the "Previous track" button on the left side still and plug in
the USB cable to connect to the computer. After connected, please choose the
corresponding output device"

It's not clear what holding "previous track" does.  Selects USB source (effect charge setting)?  

Use magic Report

Super Moderator

Born for music and happy

digest
F-Coin
DACs
FiiO Q5s
Head Gears
FiiO FA9
regtime
2013-5-10

Medal of X3 Senator if Forums Honorary Admin Excellent Moderator Outstanding Contributors King of Chatting Master of Publictity Master of Promotion Enthusiastic Member Active Member Supernova

Post time 2020-7-6 18:08:42 |Show all posts |
Dear user,

You may meet the usb1.1 mode? Holding the previous track could help the computer recognize the Q5s directly. And you don't need to install the extra DAC driver.

Best regards

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2021-2-27 00:34 , Processed in 0.021723 second(s), 23 queries .